Wednesday, December 30, 2009

God of Second Chances

Sometimes things just work out.  Most of the time they don't "just work out," so you really take notice when they do.  You notice God is up to something.  This is one of those times.

Our community pastor, Brad, is teaching Sunday on the topic of "the power of a second chance."  In his preparation he came across a guy named Carlos Whittaker, who happens to have recently written a song called "God of Second Chances."  The song isn't even out yet.  We only knew it existed because Carlos sang part of the song on this amazing YouTube video.  He was shooting video in a park in Atlanta for his upcoming CD release, and a homeless guy named Danny showed up and started singing with him.  Worshiping with him.  I don't guess angels generally look like homeless Rastafarians, but you be the judge.



You can read Carlos' take on the whole episode here.

As it turns out, Carlos is preparing to move to Chicago to plant a church with a guy Brad and I both know (not personally, but are aware of and have met) named Jarrett Stevens.  The church is called Soul City Church, it looks like an awesome God thing, and at this point I'm starting to feel a bond with this guy I've never met named Carlos.  And I like his song, and Brad and I really want to sing it with the Springs on Sunday.  So I take a shot.  I email Carlos and say, "we would really like to sing your song at our church on Sunday, but your CD isn't out yet, and you only sing part of it on the video.  Any chance you could send me the whole song so we could worship with it on Sunday?"  By the next morning I have it in my inbox.  I love this guy.

I think this is how people act when they understand grace.  People of the Second Chance.  Springs, when we sing it on Sunday, I hope we give it a little extra.  The song speaks for itself, but there's something behind the song that gives it even more meaning.

Oh, BTW I promised Carlos that we would all buy his CD when it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment