Thursday, November 12, 2009

Back In Black

I have a handful of students who take guitar lessons from me at the studio (FYI I have a second job as manager of MiracleSound Productions -- check it out at http://www.miracle-sound.com/).  One of my beginner students is around 12 years old--we'll call him Angus--and is a fan of AC/DC and several other hard rock bands whose members are old enough to be his father.  Last week at his lesson, his actual father announced that they were on their way to the AC/DC concert for some father-son bonding.  So for this week's lesson, I broke out the song "Back In Black," which just happens to incorporate several of the things I had been teaching little Angus in his lessons.  I fired up the virtual drummer on my iPhone, cranked up the overdrive on the guitar amps, and away we went.


I know, I know.  This is all horribly wrong.  I am a pastor, for crying out loud.  Am I even allowed to play AC/DC songs, let alone encourage a very impressionable youth to play them?  All I know is this: circa 1982, my garage band mates and I were playing "Back In Black" at the First Methodist Church's 5th quarter party on Friday night after the high school football game.  For an encore, we wanted to play my favorite song at the time: an awesome instrumental piece on Boston's new album called, "Foreplay."  My mother said no.  I couldn't figure out what was inappropriate about the song, it didn't even have words!

At some point I'll have to save my now-tarnished reputation and introduce young Angus to something more wholesome.  How about "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" by Guns N Roses?

No comments:

Post a Comment